Thursday, January 31, 2013

Here I was thinking the whole endorphin thing was actually a myth

So obviously it's not been a week since my last entry, as is customary for me (except during December when I was a major slacker). Yet, I couldn't wait a whole week to write this. I went to the gym today as usual. I got on the elliptical first, also as usual. I got my music going, and from the first minute, I knew it was going to be a great workout. I could feel it. I just didn't know how great. Not even exaggerating, it may have been the greatest workout of my life. I ended up beating my personal best time for a 5k by 3 minutes (27:46)! It was incredible. I just kept thinking of all those comments yesterday and how great they made me feel, and I think it gave me some kind of insane energy surge. Usually near the end, my feet start hurting, but today I felt like I could do it all day. I had sweat pouring off of me, but I felt absolutely fabulous. Usually I can do small surges of 7 mph, but today I was consistently doing 7 mph the majority of the time. When I got done with the 5k, I saw no reason to stop. I kept going for 2 hours and ended up doing well over 12 miles in that time. This is from someone who took 17 minutes to do 1 mile when she started, and had to take breaks to even do that much.

I was grinning like a complete fool the entire time. There must have been some crazy level of endorphins in my system. Then that Avril Lavigne song "Smile" (go ahead, judge my music taste if you must) came on my ipod, and the chorus really rang true for me:

And that's why I smile
It's been a while
Since every day and everything has
Felt this right

Because everything did seem so very right in my life at that moment. It may seem silly and cliche, but right at that moment, I felt like I could accomplish anything I wanted. Sometimes this process is a lot of work. That's why it was so awesome to have days like today where things seem effortless. 

This may seem like a pretty random entry, and some of you may be kind of wondering why I even wrote it. I just wish I could express even a tenth of how awesome and powerful and joyful I felt in the gym today. Something that great needed to be shared, especially since I feel like all those kind comments yesterday really played a large part in why this workout was so outstanding. So for that, I thank you! Hopefully, my workout tomorrow will be just as great.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I started reading your blog via Holly (newsmallvictories) and figured it was time to say hi! I am just beginning in my weightloss journey so it is always awesome to see stuff like this! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allison! Thanks so much for reading. That's great that you have started on your own weight loss journey. It's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete