Monday, March 31, 2014

Come over to the dark side...we have cookies!

Okay, I don't really have cookies. I do have some carrots though. You're welcome to those. The inspiration for this post came from several moments I have had lately where it was really evident that I have definitely crossed over to the dark side. By dark side, I mean one of "those" people. You know, the ones who are all about healthy eating and exercise. I'm pretty proud of this accomplishment because it wasn't so long ago that I was in a quite different subset of people; the ones who eat crap and never exercise and eventually weigh over 300 lbs. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to share some of these moments:

1) I went grocery shopping and saw these little pouches of strawberry muffins. The calorie count was pretty reasonable, but then I got to looking at the nutrition facts. That's when crazy health nut mode kicked in. I was all, "Where is the nutritional value? These are all sugar! I can't even pronounce these ingredients!" This is also significant because previously when I have tried to lose weight I just ate whatever was lowest in calories and didn't care if it was actually good for my body i.e. subsisting on iceberg lettuce and canned crab.

2) I got really excited when I saw how many colors of vegetables were in my dinner tonight. Like disturbingly excited.

3) I feel like a slacker if I miss more than one day of workouts. It feels unnatural. This coming from someone who spent literally years never setting foot in a gym.

4) There are as many workout clothes as regular street clothes in my laundry.

5) My body does not process high-fat food well anymore and I feel physically ill if I eat more than a little of that type of food. This kind of weirdly makes me happy because it means my body is rejecting something it is not used to. I'm glad my body is not used to crap anymore. I  feel like my body is like the security company in those commercials where they shout at the burglar to leave the house he's robbing, like "Intruder! Leave the premises immediately!!" My body used to have no problem at all with high-fat foods.

6) I've spent more time cooking in the last 21 months than I probably have the rest of my life combined. What can I say? Fast food didn't require a culinary degree.

There are probably more I can't think of, but this is fine for now. Some people might think this stuff is weird, but I am totally content with my new normal, mainly because it makes me very, very happy. And who doesn't want to be happy? I'll take this type of long-lasting happiness over a couple of minutes of "happiness" with a bag of potato chips any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment